What we do
Maguire Legal Pty Ltd (ABN 75 666 656 999) is an Incorporated Legal Practice registered in Victoria providing legal services to Australian employers, charitable and not-for-profit organisations and business enterprises supporting them to fulfil their obligations under Australian employment and workplace relations law. Owner and Principal Lawyer Paul Maguire (P0056845) and Supervising Principal Tony Pick (P0033270) specialise in employment, anti-discrimination, and workplace relations law. We provide a range of legal and business advisory services, including:
- Advice – legal advice on all aspects of employment and workplace relations law including formulating employment contracts, understanding modern awards, superannuation, health and safety, anti-discrimination, dispute resolution and unfair dismissals
- Representation – responding to unfair dismissal claims, conciliation, mediation and arbitration of workplace disputes, award matters.
- Knowledge — educating employers and key managers on topics that will improve their understanding and capacity to manage employment obligations, and strategies to improve staff engagement and performance.
- Enterprise bargaining – advice and representation in the planning, negotiation, approval and implementation of enterprise agreements
- Research – designing tailored surveys on remuneration, staff engagement, attitudes and business performance. Research and preparation of submissions to enquiries and statutory policy bodies.
- Subscribe – a yearly subscription service for small business employers to access legal advice on applying modern award wages, the NES, leave entitlements, superannuation, health and safety, anti-discrimination and workplace bullying laws, dismissal and any other aspect of employing and managing staff.
Maguire Legal takes a common sense approach, ensuring clients have access to the best legal advice and helping them develop effective strategies and solutions to support the success of their businesses.
Paul Maguire, Director and Principal Lawyer, Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (Graduate Entry) (Victoria University), Bachelor of Commerce (University of Melbourne), Graduate Diploma Labour Relations Law (University of Melbourne)
Paul advises several industry and professional employer associations, such as the National Employment Services Association, Jobs Australia, the Australian Medical Association Victoria, Council of Small Business of Australia and the Optometrists Association Australia. His experience in employee relations extends to work with employers and with National and State trade unions and has particular interest and expertise in employee relations advice and problem solving, small business development, investigations, dispute resolution, advocacy and enterprise bargaining,
Paul has worked in employee relations, business, government, and human resource management for more than 25 years. His portfolio of clients ranges from aged care, education, retail, IT, construction, manufacturing, professional, human services, health, and employment services. He is the author of HR for Small Business for Dummies.
Tony Pick Director and Principal Lawyer, Director HDHR Legal Pty Ltd, Bachelor of Laws (Honours) (Australian National University), Master of Law (University of Melbourne)
Tony is a specialist workplace relations lawyer with 10 years post-admission experience. He represents both employers and employees in litigious and non-litigious matters. Although Tony has worked with clients in a wide range of industries including mining, construction and manufacturing, he has developed a particular expertise in the social services and not-for-profit sector.
Tony has been a lawyer at Minter Ellison, HWL Ebsworth and Landers & Rogers and was Senior Lawyer at Ai Group, Australia’s largest employer organisation in 2017/18 responsible for representing members in Fair Work Commission proceedings and advising, advising on award compliance issues and conducting investigations.
Tony is a regular speaker at external conferences and CPD events including for the Leo Cussen Institute and the Law Institute of Victoria. He is a highly recommended training provider known for his use of hypothetical problem questions to engage participants and reinforce key messages. He also teaches employment law and civil procedure at Victoria University and Deakin University.
Maguire Legal and our consulting arm of Maguire Consulting draw upon a network of lawyers and business consultants with specialist expertise to complement our skills and experience enabling us to deliver a broad suite of services tailored to the needs of our clients. We have a national focus and therefore can advise or represent you personally and your business wherever you are in Australia. This unique mix of experience contributes to a balanced approach to legal advice, Human Resources and business management.